Monday, April 30, 2012

Testing the Nose

Inevitably, a wine drinker knows more or less the flavors of wine he or she likes, and can identify those flavors in some favorite wines.  For some reason, though, the inexperienced nose has a hard time pin-pointing what it smells in the wine.  In this tasting of only four wines from different regions, I tested my nose by smelling and then describing it to the distributor.  The flavors were interesting too, but a little bit more predictable.  Interestingly, the wine store did not want to provide the label information for these four wines.
Muscadet from Rias Baixas, Spain – this white wine had a very clean and crisp smell, letting me know that it would not be fruity.  Not smelling citrus from the wine, I was not surprised that it was not particularly acidic either.  It was a very clean, balanced white that has enough acid to help digest seafood.  I rarely smell such a mild white wine, and I liked it for its balanced smell and flavor.
Gamay Rose from the California Sierra Foothills – this rose smelled like cheese to me, which is really a rare experience for me and wine.  The distributor was puzzled, but another taster also smelled the cheese from the wine.  The taste was good for a rose, not too sweet, and some spicy reds like Syrah were used to enhance the flavor.  It tasted nothing like cheese, of course.  The inconsistency between the scent and the flavor of wine is of the many things about wine that fascinates me.
Red wine from Rias Baixas, Spain – this wine smelled like wet leaves and compost.  Old world wines tend to smell more earthy than fruity, so I was not surprised to not smell fruit.  But it was the first time I smelled wet leaves.  Nevertheless, the distributor said it was one of the smells that are commonly associated with this wine, so I knew I had a nose like the pros!  It was a medium-bodied red with no particular flavor standing out, and is probably a good table wine in Spain – where wine always accompanies food, and never tastes too strong.
California blend from the Sierra Foothills – this red wine is a blend of Nebbiolo, Syrah, Nourvedre, Viognier and Roussanne grapes.  I smelled floral and fruit scents at the same time, which I have smelled a few times before and find fascinating.  Again the distributor said I smelled what the pros smell, so I was pleased to know that my mind was identifying the scent correctly.  It was another medium-bodied wine to drink with food, not having much flavor despite the Syrah being added. 
Wine tasting is just about flavor for many, but professionals will often look at and smell the wine before tasting; because sometimes looking and smelling can tell you what to expect.  The smelling is often the hardest part, not only because it is moderately subjective, but also because sometimes we can’t put our finger on the smell.  There are many scents that wines have which we don’t normally associate with grapes or wine, and this throws off the taster.  It is always key to take your time, and to let your brain identify the smell.  Then discuss it with others … you may be surprised by what you smell! 

No comments:

Post a Comment